Sunday, October 7, 2007

Some Things I Would Change About Elections

This is by no means either comprehensive or complete, but as I'm sitting here listening to the mainstream media ramble on and on ad nauseum about the upcoming elections, I thought I would pass along a few things I would like to see changed in the way we hold elections in this Country.

I'd do away with electronic voting. Let's go back to punch cards and paper ballots. So what if it takes longer to count- at least it would be instantly apparent to the voter if there was something hanky going on with their ballot. I'm sure the machines could be upgraded to do away with the fearful "pregnant chad."

I'd require a voting test before anyone was allowed to cast a ballot. 15-20 multiple choice questions about exactly what the Constitution says- something along the lines of:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are:
  1. can be changed by Executive Order of the President of the United States
  2. can be granted via decision of the United States Supreme Court
  3. can be given in accorance with opinion polls
  4. reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.


People may not fully understand what some provisions of the Constitution mean, but they should at least know what it says before they're allowed to vote. I'd even be willing to make it an "open Constitution" quiz for first-time voters.

Next, if you don't live in my town, you should have no influence over who wins in my local elections- nor I in yours. Therefore, I would do away with campaign contributions from outside of the specific area covered by the election. If you don't live in my congressional district, you can't give any money to the candidates running in Florida's 13th Congressional District; if you don't live in Bradenton, you can't give money to any of the mayoral candidates.

That goes for businesses as well, although it would have to be done somewhat differently than for individuals. For example, if your main corporate offices are located in Sarasota, then you can contribute to candidates for Sararasota City and County offices (and Statewide offices, of course), but not in any other city, county, or state. If your main production, manufacturing or logistics facility is in a particular area, you can contribute to candidates in that city, county or state, but not outside of it. What it boils down to is this- I live and vote in Bradenton, Manatee County, Florida, so why should I be able to influence an election in Hickory, NC?

That brings us to PACS. Any PAC setup to benefit any foreign corporation, government or country would be barred from giving any money to any candidate for any office in America. Further, no money would be allowed in the political process which did not come from an American citizen- if you're not an American, you can't give to any candidate for any office, or contribute to any ballot initiatives. I'm not sure exactly what else I would do with PACs, but this I am sure of- American elections are for Americans, period.

Next, whatever maximum contribution level was set would apply across the board- if it's $250 for individuals, then it's $250 for businesses. If it's $2,500 for businesses, then it'd be the same for PACs.

All ballots are to be in English. Braille is acceptable, Spanish or any other language is not. If you're going to vote in an American election, you darn sure should have to do it in English. No translators are to be provided at any polling place, although I would have no objection to deaf interpretors being onsite should the need arise.

No "soft money" should go to any political candidate for any office. Soft money groups would not be allowed to circumvent the system- they would be allowed to run "issue ads" on the War, abortion, or whatever else they wanted, but they would not be allowed to either explicitly endorse a candidate or political party.

Last (for now at least), I would repeal the 17th Amendment. I would go back to the State Legislatures appointing the Senators. This would work perfectly with my plan to eliminate out-of-State campaign contirbutions, as well as provide a remedy for situations like that of the disgraced Senator of Idaho. Had this been in place, the Idaho legislature could simply have recalled Craig and appointed a new Senator, instead of having to either wait for the next election or the Senate to boot him out.

There you have it- changes I would make to the election process. There's more I'll get to at a later date, but those are some of the biggies. Please, save your contention that this somehow violates our Freedom of Speech rights- it actually expands them for actual citizens of the United States. It takes foreign influence out of the equation- your voice and vote would mean more than that of a rich Chinese businessman or Middle East lobbying group. These changes would make "one man, one vote" actually mean something.

You are, of course, free to disagree.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Interesting post. If you are interested in more information concerning the 17th Amendment, please check out my weblog, Repeal the 17th Amendment. I have a number of scholarly articles posted on the right side concerning the history and the consequences of the amendment.

Best regards,
Brian

http://repealthe17thamendment.blogspot.com/